[WSBAPT] Will found after probate filed - now what?

Judith E Luther JELuther at CWL.comcastbiz.net
Tue Jul 18 18:07:12 PDT 2017

If the Will is ignored because it mirrors an intestate distribution scheme, the Will contest period does not run - correct?  What would then stop someone from, later down the road, producing  another Will with an alternate distribution scheme after closing the intestate probate matter?  Wouldn't/couldn't that cause problems?  Does it not make sense, then, to follow RCW 11.28.150 for purposes of creating finality of establishing the Will as "the" Last Will?  Or am I missing something re: the issue of running the clock on the Will contest period with an intestate probate?

Judith E. Luther
Carlson-Whitley & Luther, LLP
1217 Cooper Point Road SW, Suite 6
Olympia, WA 98502-7206
Ph: (360) 915-9774
Fx: (360) 915-8759

From: wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com [mailto:wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com] On Behalf Of Paul Neumiller
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 3:59 PM
To: 'WSBA Probate & Trust Listserv' <wsbapt at lists.wsbarppt.com>
Subject: Re: [WSBAPT] Will found after probate filed - now what?

Bingo.  If the Will changes things, then yes, by all means, amend the petition but if everything stays the same, why spend the time (and money)?    For example, I have two sons (assume no spouse).  If I die intestate, everything goes to them 50/50 AND my Will says everything goes to them 50/50. So my Will reflects the same distribution as the laws of consanguinity.