[WSBAPT] Artistic Assets

Paul Neumiller pneumiller at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 26 11:26:03 PST 2017

Call me.

From: wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com [mailto:wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com] On Behalf Of Mike Winslow
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2017 10:11 AM
To: 'WSBA Probate & Trust Listserv' <wsbapt at lists.wsbarppt.com>
Subject: Re: [WSBAPT] Artistic Assets

I am pleased to announce that I will be speaking in an upcoming Strafford live webinar, "Tax and Estate Planning for Art Collectors<http://click.spbcle.com/link.cfm?r=HNK5RddTzbyqB0zmWczYiQ~~&pe=nY8LI1mwCE4UPHkrykht_VaoEAYKnNq-SkRf0mktb8gG0poaF5qu97KYxiBvHq-e>" scheduled for Tuesday, February 21, 1:00pm-2:30pm EST.

Most significant estates contain valuable artwork or collector’s items. These assets present myriad specific challenges, from the perspective of both estate and income tax planning. Estate counsel need to grasp the unique tax and investment issues presented by art can collectibles as part of designing an estate plan for clients with those assets.

Art and collectible items are among the more difficult assets to value for estate purposes. The IRS has an audit unit dedicated to valuation of artwork, and the standards the Service applies in challenging valuations continue to evolve. Valuation is a critical factor in determining a disposition strategy for an art collection, and estate planners must understand the specific challenges in deciding how to dispose of these assets.

Part of what makes art and other collectibles different from other assets is the personal attachment that many collectors have toward their acquired items. Unlike other financial investments, beneficiaries may not wish to take artwork as part of an inheritance. Planners should understand disposition strategies such as 1031 exchanges, and post-mortem sale considerations in structuring a plan to serve clients with art and collectible items.

Our panel will provide estate planners with a comprehensive guide to the estate and income tax planning issues specific to valuable artwork and collectible items within an estate portfolio. The panel will discuss the critical questions of verifying title, documenting valuation, and dealing with fractional ownership. The webinar will offer guidance on structuring disposition plans under various scenarios, both inter vivos and testamentary, to balance income and estate tax considerations with clients’ passion about their collections.

We will review these and other key issues:

  *   What are the unique characteristics of art and collectible items from the collector’s standpoint?
  *   Valuation considerations for artwork
  *   Structuring Section 1031 exchanges involving collectible items
  *   Charitable planning for collectors in post-mortem disposition transactions and structures

After our presentations, we will engage in a live question and answer session with participants so we can answer your questions about these important issues directly.

I hope you'll join us.

For more information or to register ><http://click.spbcle.com/link.cfm?r=HNK5RddTzbyqB0zmWczYiQ~~&pe=fjcF3DL_jRifYzK8ZFSDEdiQv-l37Ilt0kmJLLRdp052jBa3ee7Awn7S7pfiMOB0>

Or call 1-800-926-7926 ext. 10
Ask for Tax and Estate Planning for Art Collectors on 2/21/2017
Mention code: D86XK2-U9ODQ2

Sincerely,

K. Eli Akhavan, Tax and Estate Planning for Art Collectors
Akhavan Law Group, LLP
New York
[https://images.magnetmail.net/images/clients/strafford/l16x16.jpg]<http://click.spbcle.com/link.cfm?r=HNK5RddTzbyqB0zmWczYiQ~~&pe=DgpOG0Z3Wy19HB1_36m408ahC1jFAnddFRC3X7dLAwCpzNr_Ov5o4-SI-leV3ZTY>

Follow Strafford<http://click.spbcle.com/link.cfm?r=HNK5RddTzbyqB0zmWczYiQ~~&pe=Z4NUF4mE3r4L9DSpMaLHonSJ1-UNpbeYCFWn62DD5f06DzPnh6FatvLNsYK9o1YQ>

[https://images.magnetmail.net/images/clients/strafford/013si.gif]<http://click.spbcle.com/link.cfm?r=HNK5RddTzbyqB0zmWczYiQ~~&pe=IPeY-HTMvL77se9WtHwdlgoy-Kxd_D8jtmUgNplbrxVgFyAZQ5qew4KAQdUjzmhM>

Forward this<http://click.spbcle.com/link.cfm?r=HNK5RddTzbyqB0zmWczYiQ~~&pe=Fl_x9PLJWObw1n_cVet2ghtlWukHwB6pu6f1kNSsomPjuXQH3tJw5eAT55Jicd9b>

Michael A. Winslow
1204 Cleveland Ave.
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
Ph. 360-336-3321
Em. Mike at winslegal.com<mailto:Mike at winslegal.com>

This message is from an attorney, so it’s confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, it’s too late to stop reading this message, but you may not use it for any improper purpose. Huge Disclaimer available upon request.