[WSBAPT] CA life insurance & 401k

John Creahan john at cairn-law.com
Tue Jan 17 12:51:19 PST 2017

Mary,
I believe that ERISA will apply if the retirement account is a 401(k), as opposed to an IRA.
I agree with Eric that the 401(k) custodian may be obligated to pay the account over to the divorced spouse, but, if I recall correctly, that does not settle the issue - the intended beneficiaries may have a claim against the ex-wife to recover the proceeds. Of course, proving that the decedent wanted someone other than the ex to receive the account can be problematic, although the divorce decree will likely address the issue.
If the life insurance and retirement accounts were awarded to the decedent in the divorce, his children have a stronger argument.
Is the ex-wife the children's mother? If so, you may be able to get her to disclaim or place the proceeds in trust, which might be a better result than the children inheriting outright.
Hope this helps,
John

John Creahan
www.cairn-law.com<http://www.cairn-law.com/>