[WSBAPT] CA life insurance & 401k

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Tue Jan 17 10:54:41 PST 2017

Depends on whether the life insurance and/or 401k were employment-based benefits. If they were, then ERISA controls (federal law, trumps any contrary state law) and the ex-wife gets everything. If they were purchased/funded independent of employment, then ERISA does not control and CA law might.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA  98144-3909
phone 206-625-0092
fax 206-625-9040

Please Note that We Have Moved. We have moved our Seattle office to Mount Baker Ridge (a small commercial community just above the I-90 tunnel). Our new address is 1417 31st Avenue South, Seattle WA 98144. All other contact information remains the same.