[WSBAPT] Trust transfer of property w/o Probate?

Setareh Mahmoodi mahmoodi.setareh at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 15:20:30 PST 2017

Linda,

If the son is the heir in the RLT then the property would go to him after
the dad's death if that's what the terms of the RLT are. You just need to
make sure that the property is properly deeded to the RLT. Pull the
recordings yourself to be sure.

A transfer on death deed is another instrument that can be used. RCW 64.80.
Title companies don't love this option, and usually like to see a
corresponding clause in the Will that confirms the transfer. They will most
likely require a lack of probate affidavit form.

Side note: if you are advising him on the RLT make sure that it is set up
correctly and that he has a certificate of trust etc. A few years ago, I
had a client who had also set up his own RLT, after reviewing it, it was
invalid and incorrectly done. He needs to make sure that any property he
owns or will own in the future is properly deeded to the RLT if he wants to
avoid probate. It's a good idea to have a pour over Will as well if he
doesn't already.

Setareh

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 11:31 AM, MK Henderson <law.mkh at gmail.com> wrote:

> He can create a Transfer on Death Deed that would transfer upon his
> death.  If he created the trust himself did he put the real property into
> the trust?
>
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Kameron Cayce <kam at caycegrove.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Linda, If the house is in the RLT (i.e. Has been deeded to the trust),
>> the named successor trustee just deeds to the named heir. Son would have to
>> be named as that heir in the RLT.

Please always call 206-683-1006 or email before dropping by the office as I
could be in court or meetings. Thanks!

*Best regards, *

*Setareh Mahmoodi *

*Attorney at Law *

*18222 104th Ave NE, Suite 103*

*Bothell, WA 98011*

*Phone: 425-806-1500*

*Cell: 206-683-1006*

*Fax: 425-489-4142 (Please email documents if at all possible) *

*Website: **http://www.lawofficesofsm.com/ <http://www.lawofficesofsm.com/>*

*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:* This email message and any attachments is a
transmission from the law firm and is intended for the recipient only.  It
may contain information that is confidential and legally protected by the
attorney-client, work product and/or other privileges.  If you are not the
designated or intended recipient, please destroy the message without
disclosing any of its contents and notify us immediately by reply email or
by calling (425) 806-1500.

Pursuant to U.S. Treasury Department Regulations, we are now required to
advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax
advice contained in this communication, including attachments and
enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for
the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal
Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party
any tax-related matters addressed herein.