[WSBAPT] New DPOA Law and Using DPOA in Favor of AIF

Setareh Mahmoodi mahmoodi.setareh at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 15:16:27 PST 2017

Jacob,

In a recent CLE, it was suggested that if the POA (pre 2017) was silent on
gifting, it was good, and allowed transfers and gifting for the purposes of
Medicaid.

However, post 2017 including language as below would be helpful to allow
the AIF to make gifts or transfers to qualify the Principal for Medicaid.
Obviously you will need to tweak it as necessary for each individual. This
is mostly meant for spouses as AIF.

I hope this answers your question.

Setareh

"

My agent shall have the power to make transfers of my property whether
outright or in trust, including unlimited gifts to the attorney-in-fact,
for the purpose of qualifying or maintaining eligibility for government
benefits, including Medicaid, or to avoid estate recovery related to such
benefits.  Any transfers made pursuant to this paragraph shall be deemed
not to be a breach of fiduciary duty by the attorney-in-fact.
"

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 8:24 AM, Jacob Menashe <jacob at hickmanmenashe.com>
wrote:

> Thanks Heather. I think, though, that limitation applies to all gifting,
> not just to the powerholder, right? But what about if a durable power of
> attorney explicitly authorizes Medicaid gifting (which could exceed annual
> exclusion gifting). Prior to January 1, I think the answer (given 11.94.070
> and RCW 11.95.100) was probably no, but now?
>

> Best,
>

> Jacob
>

> Jacob H. Menashe
>
> Hickman Menashe, PS
>
> 4211 Alderwood Mall Blvd., Suite 202
>
> Lynnwood, WA 98036
>
> (425) 744-5658 phone
>
> (425) 744-6078 fax
>
> Satellite Office in Bellevue
>
> www.hickmanmenashe.com
>

> *CONFIDENTIALITY:* The contents of this message and any attachment(s) may
> contain confidential or privileged information. Any disclosure, copying,
> distribution, or unauthorized use of the contents of this message is
> prohibited and doing so may destroy the confidential nature of the
> communication.  If you have received this message by mistake, please do not
> review, disclose, copy, or distribute the e-mail.  Instead, please notify
> us immediately by replying to this message or telephoning us at (425)
> 744-5658.

Please always call 206-683-1006 or email before dropping by the office as I
could be in court or meetings. Thanks!

*Best regards, *

*Setareh Mahmoodi *

*Attorney at Law *

*18222 104th Ave NE, Suite 103*

*Bothell, WA 98011*

*Phone: 425-806-1500*

*Cell: 206-683-1006*

*Fax: 425-489-4142 (Please email documents if at all possible) *

*Website: **http://www.lawofficesofsm.com/ <http://www.lawofficesofsm.com/>*

*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:* This email message and any attachments is a
transmission from the law firm and is intended for the recipient only.  It
may contain information that is confidential and legally protected by the
attorney-client, work product and/or other privileges.  If you are not the
designated or intended recipient, please destroy the message without
disclosing any of its contents and notify us immediately by reply email or
by calling (425) 806-1500.

Pursuant to U.S. Treasury Department Regulations, we are now required to
advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax
advice contained in this communication, including attachments and
enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for
the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal
Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party
any tax-related matters addressed herein.