[WSBAPT] Separate Real Property Commingled?

Jane Bitz jbitz at whc-attorneys.com
Tue Jan 3 11:16:21 PST 2017

The interest of the spouse is one-half of the separate property by intestacy.

There is really no community property interest under your facts. Read Estate of Borghi and cases that site this decision. Unless the husband signed a Quit Claim Deed to create Community Property with his wife, the property remains his separate property. If community funds made payments on the note that were in excess of what would be reasonable rental value or major, permanent improvements to the property (major remodel, etc.) with community funds, then no “equitable lien” exists, it is all separate property.

His son and the wife split sale proceeds 50/50.

Jane Bitz.

Jane G Bitz
Of Counsel
Wolff, Hislop & Crockett, PLLC