[WSBAPT] intestate heirs members of a Tribe - special requirements?

Rob Wilson-Hoss rob at hctc.com
Mon Feb 20 12:17:59 PST 2017

If there is trust property, held by the United States in trust for an individual tribal member, then that will be administered by the BIA under the fairly new federal Indian Probate Act, the AIPRA of 2004. Some say that the process and results are more consistently reasonable and fair than they were 30 years ago.

If it is not trust property then it is usually administered under the laws of the state. There are some strange areas of intersection: for example, I just had a Bureau probate court say that improvements to real property were not part of the trust real property, an amendment to the Act that I was not aware of. Usually, that won't matter as the results will be the same. This is all very specialized and you might want to check with an experienced Indian law person if you have questions. Also, there is a very good section at Seattle U Law School about estate planning and probates involving tribal members and especially trust lands, the Center for Indian Law and Policy Institute for Indian Estate Planning and Probate. Finally, some, a very few, Tribes have their own probate codes, but this will be more and more frequent in the future, I think.  Something else to check.

And you can actually research Indian probate court decisions online now, which helps if you have particular issues.

Rob

Robert D. Wilson-Hoss
Hoss & Wilson-Hoss, LLP
236 West Birch Street
Shelton, WA 98584
360 426-2999

www.hossandwilson-hoss.com
rob at hctc.com

This message is intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the addressee, you are hereby notified that any use, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us by reply e-mail or by telephone (call us collect at the number listed above) and immediately delete this message and any and all of its attachments.  Thank you.

This office does debt collection and this e-mail may be an attempt to collect a debt, Any information obtained will be used for that purpose.  To the extent the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (15 U.S.C. § 1692) applies this firm is acting as a debt collector for the condominium/homeowners' association named above to collect a debt owed to it. Any information obtained will be used for collection purposes. You have the right to seek advice of legal counsel.