[WSBAPT] Are we organizing an effort to stop this...

Karen E. Boxx kboxx at uw.edu
Thu Feb 9 15:21:01 PST 2017

This message was posted on the Elder Law section listserv today, and gives information about how to give input on the proposal.

karen

Dear Elder Law Section Members,

On behalf of the WSBA Elder Law Section Executive Committee, I would like to thank you for the feedback many of you have been providing with regard to this very important issue of the proposed expansion of the LLLT program into Elder Law ("Estate and Health Care").  Whether you support or oppose this program, it is very likely to have an impact in the area of Elder Law.  The vast majority of the responses have been to present objections to the proposed expansion, but there may very well be those members who support the proposal as well.  As you should all be aware, since 2012, the Section Executive Committee has sent two official responses in opposition to the LLLT program and its possible expansion into the practice area of Elder Law.  The Section Executive Committee intends to provide another official response to the latest proposed expansion of the LLLT program into Elder Law ("Estate and Health Care") in the coming weeks, and we would very much like the valuable input of our membership, whether it be in support of or opposition to the proposal.

While the feedback on the list serve is helpful for the Section Executive Committee to have in formulating a response consistent with the concerns of our membership, it would be even more helpful for members to prepare formal signed letters in either support or opposition to the program.  If you have an opinion about the proposed expansion of the LLLT program into Elder Law ("Estate and Health Care") that you would like to have presented to the LLLT Board and the Supreme Court, please draft, sign, scan, and email a PDF copy of your letter to me (Kameron Kirkevold) as Chair of the WSBA Elder Law Section.  Please send it to me directly as well as to my assistant Kris Lopez.  Both of our email addresses are cc'd on this email.  Please also feel free to post your letter to the list if you would like to do so.

Your letter should be addressed to Steve R. Crossland, Chair of the LLLT Board at steve at crosslandlaw.net<mailto:steve at crosslandlaw.net>, Ellen Reed, LLLT Program Lead at LLLT at wsba.org<mailto:LLLT at wsba.org> and to Susan L. Carlson, Clerk of the Supreme Court at Supreme at courts.wa.gov<mailto:Supreme at courts.wa.gov>

The Executive Committee will include all of the signed letter responses I receive from you along with the Executive Committee's third response.  The Committee's response, including all of the correspondence I receive, will of course be circulated on this list serve.

Very Best Regards,

Kameron L. Kirkevold
As Chair of the WSBA Elder Law Section