[WSBAPT] Is SS liable on note that decedent co-signed on?

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Fri Feb 3 12:43:21 PST 2017

Having recently tried to disentangle the status of a community debt still outstanding more than 2 years after death of the first spouse, here's my thought: Probate of the first spouse to die has jurisdiction over the entirety of community asset and community liabilities. Community liability must be addressed in first spouse's probate, or it is barred.

Briefing:

The death of a spouse terminates the marital relationship and the "marital community." Bank of Montreal v. Buchanan, 32 Wn. 480, 73 P. 482 (1903); see also Washington State Bar Assn. Community Property Deskbook (4th ed. 2014) (hereinafter "CP Deskbook"), Sec. 4.11. At death of the first spouse, the community "ceases to exist." Sutton v. Hirvonen, 113 Wn.2d 1, 6, 775 P.2d 448 (1989). The first deceased spouse's Estate accordingly has jurisdiction over all community property and community liability, not just the decedent's half, in order to dispose of all community matters. Ruth v. Dight, 75 Wn.2d 660, 670, 453 P.2d 631 (1969) (claim against the community cannot be pursued against surviving spouse if not also properly brought against the deceased spouse's estate); Gilliam v. City of Centralia, 14 Wn.2d 523, 531, 128 P.2d 661 (1942) (deceased spouse's Personal Representative, not the surviving spouse, has authority to pursue a community claim); Magee v. Big Bend Land Co., 51 Wash. 406, 408, 99 P. 16 (1909) (administration of first spouse's estate had jurisdiction and authority to sell the entire community real property). See also CP Deskbook, Sec. 4.13.

That said, I presented this argument in a summary judgment matter and the court didn't follow it. The procedural stance was complicated and not as straightforward as addressing a community liability, however, so past ruling is not necessarily an indication of future results.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA  98144-3909
phone 206-625-0092
fax 206-625-9040

Please Note that We Have Moved. We have moved our Seattle office to Mount Baker Ridge (a small commercial community just above the I-90 tunnel). Our new address is 1417 31st Avenue South, Seattle WA 98144. All other contact information remains the same.