[WSBAPT] Notice for Family Support Award/Homestead Exemption

James W. Spencer jamess at brothershenderson.com
Thu Dec 28 09:30:59 PST 2017

Hi Bryan:

Just to make sure we're on the same page, RCW 11.54.080 points towards 11.96A.110 as to notice requirements, which refers to "parties". "Parties" is defined under 11.96A.030(5) to include "[a] creditor" and "[a]ny other person who has an interest in the subject of the particular proceeding". "Persons interested" is defined in 11.96A.030(5).

I think best practice is to identify the creditors and any other "persons interested" and provide notice liberally. I tend to default to providing notice if there is any reasonable question.

In this case, however, your satisfied creditors should not need notice, nor any creditors who have had their claims rejected (provided that the rejection comported with RCW 11.40.100, and thirty days have passed). Untimely claims are barred by statute (though funny thing is that these late filers are often the noisiest from my experience), so I do not believe notice would be required for anyone who filed outside the 4 month window, as long as they were properly provided notice in the first place (if they were ascertainable).

I would look forward to others' input on this too, but this is how we've handled it in the past with success.

Best wishes,
James

James W. Spencer
Brothers & Henderson, P.S.
2722 Eastlake Avenue East, Suite 200
Seattle, Washington 98102
Phone: (206) 324-4300 x106
e-mail:  jamess at brothershenderson.com<mailto:jamess at brothershenderson.com>
www.brothershenderson.com<http://www.brothershenderson.com/>

The information transmitted in this e-mail message and attachments is attorney-client information, is privileged or confidential material and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you have received this transmission in error, immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and permanently delete this transmission and all copies including attachments.