[WSBAPT] Restraint on Will Revisions??

James W. Spencer jamess at brothershenderson.com
Thu Dec 28 09:02:05 PST 2017

Hi Heather:

I don’t see how it would be enforceable. The will is a testamentary instrument, and I’m not certain that your client would have any luck reversing revisions made by the mother to her power of attorney prior to death based on an instrument that only becomes effective upon her death.

If mom has the capacity to sign a new will or codicil, it seems she would presently have the capacity to effectuate changes to her power of attorney. If the son becomes concerned that someone will later unscrupulously help mom create a new power of attorney, then he may need to look to other avenues: guardianship or a VAPO.

When I do something like this for a client, I make sure that it is clearly in writing that I don’t believe the provision to be enforceable. Beyond that, I don’t think there is any harm to having an unenforceable provision in the will. It just isn’t to my (and I suspect your) taste. 😊

Happy New Year!

-James

James W. Spencer
Brothers & Henderson, P.S.
2722 Eastlake Avenue East, Suite 200
Seattle, Washington 98102
Phone: (206) 324-4300 x106
e-mail:  jamess at brothershenderson.com<mailto:jamess at brothershenderson.com>
www.brothershenderson.com<http://www.brothershenderson.com/>

The information transmitted in this e-mail message and attachments is attorney-client information, is privileged or confidential material and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you have received this transmission in error, immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and permanently delete this transmission and all copies including attachments.