[WSBAPT] Co-Personal Representatives

Kate Szurek kate at skagitlaw.com
Thu Dec 21 12:11:54 PST 2017

If your clients don’t care about either of the co-PRs being able to act unilaterally, then we set that up at the get-go.
Petition says:
Authority to Act Unilaterally.  Petitioners request that the Court grant them the authority to delegate to each other the power to act alone as personal representative, without the joinder of the other, which delegation is for the convenience of the co-personal representatives and to save fees and costs to the estate, with such delegation of authority relieving third parties, but not the co-personal representatives, from liability for any actions so taken.  In making this request, the Petitioners hereby acknowledge that actions taken pursuant to such delegation of authority shall not relieve the co-personal representatives, or either of them, from their fiduciary duty to the Estate.

Order says:
The Co-Personal Representatives are each granted the authority to delegate to one another the power to act alone, in which case their powers may be exercised independently and third parties will be entitled to rely upon such delegation of authority; but in no event shall any Co-Personal Representative be relieved of his or her full fiduciary duty to the estate, regardless of which Co-Personal Representative may have acted.

Letters Testamentary say:
This is to certify that X and/or Y is authorized by this court to execute the will of the above named decedent according to law.

If two signatures will be required, there aren’t many banks that want to monitor for that.  The only ones I can think of are the small, local banks.

Kate

Kate Szurek, J.D., LL.M.
kate at skagitlaw.com<mailto:kate at skagitlaw.com>

[SkagitLaw_Signature (2)]
Skagit Law Group, PLLC
P.O. Box 336 / 227 Freeway Drive, Suite B
Mount Vernon, WA  98273
360.336.1000
360.336.6690 (fax)
http://www.skagitlaw.com<http://www.skagitlaw.com/>