[WSBAPT] joint versus separate probates for spouses

Krista MacLaren kjm.inc at mac.com
Mon Dec 4 13:53:23 PST 2017

Hi Listmates,

I need to open probate for two spouses who died within a few months of each other.  I was thinking of opening a combined probate, but I found an old list serve email by someone stating that sometimes the company that wants the Letters will object to a combined probate if the account being transferred is in just one spouse’s name.  In this estate, each spouse has some separate property to be transferred, so I am tempted to just open separate probates based on that caution, but before doubling the filing fee, I wanted to check with others.  Are there times you would not do a combined probate when two spouses die within a few months of one another?

Thank you,

Krista

Krista J. MacLaren
Attorney at Law
Northgate Executive Center II
9725 3rd Ave NE, Suite 600
Seattle, WA 98115
(206)523-6116
kjm.inc at mac.com <mailto:kjm.inc at mac.com>

Please note, as with most email providers, Mac does not encrypt email messages.  Accordingly, the confidentiality of messages sent to this address cannot be assured.  This e-mail is intended for viewing only by the individual or entity to whom its content is addressed, and it may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you received this email in error, please honor the privacy of the intended recipient: reply to the sender regarding the error and delete the message.