[WSBAPT] Modifying Beneficiaries of an Irrevocable Trust

David Faber david at faberfeinson.com
Wed Aug 30 11:47:26 PDT 2017

Doug,

Thank you for getting back to me. The gift route would be the simplest, but
I am trying to avoid gift tax implications if at all possible. The Trust
has no power of appointment and provides the following:

(1) upon death of the surviving grantor, the four children each share
equally in the remaining trust estate; (2) if one of the four children
predecease the surviving grantor, the predeceased child's share is
distributed to their issue; (3) if no issue, then the predeceased child's
share is distributed to the other three children or their surviving issue.

Provided one of W or C is still living, then they would take under either
(1) or (2) above, so I'm trying to figure out whether them being the only
contingent beneficiaries of W's trust share, at least up to that point,
would allow them to vary the terms of the trust to pass to H without
triggering the gift tax implications. Additionally, W, in particular, wants
to ensure that H receives the future interest in the trust now rather than
relying upon C to make the gift at some future date. C is currently willing
and happy to make the transfer, but upon W's death, C might have a change
of heart. We're trying to account for all of these eventualities before
they occur. An agreement to give a gift in the future wouldn't stand up,
but I guess I'm wondering if some written evidence of a gift of a future
interest in an irrevocable trust would so stand up.

Best,
David J. Faber
Faber Feinson PLLC
210 Polk Street, Suite 1
Port Townsend, WA 98368
(360) 379-4110

*** NOTICE: ATTORNEY CLIENT COMMUNICATION - PRIVILEGED & CONFIDENTIAL.
This communication may contain privileged or other confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, or believe that
you have received this communication in error, please do not print,
copy, retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the information. Also,
please indicate to the sender that you have received this communication in
error, and destroy the copy you received.***