[WSBAPT] Long-term relationship, short-term marriage, death

Jayne Gilbert jgilbertatty at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 19:06:37 PDT 2017

i am no pro, but here are my thoughts They're definitely a CIR couple and
as such the SS has a non-probate claim as to half. Under the Intestacy
statute I think, I'd look this up, but the heirs may have an interest if
the property is characterized as separate property I think the SS would get
3/4 interest and if the parents are dead the sibs have a 1/4 interest and
would be entitled to notice. Kind of tricky. If the property is
characterized as community property it all goes to the SS. 41 years is a
long time there's probably a lot of commingling going on there.

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 3:15 PM, Lisa E Schuchman <lisa at lisaschuchman.com>
wrote:

> A client lived with his domestic partner for 44 years, and they married
> less than a year ago.  The partner bought a house a few years before they
> started to live together and died recently without a will.  The closest
> blood relatives are siblings.  I think that the house is community property
> and the surviving spouse is entitled to the entire estate, which is mostly
> the house.  Does anyone disagree?  Either way, are the siblings entitled to
> notice?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Lisa E. Schuchman
> 206-960-4212 <(206)%20960-4212>
> www.lisaschuchman.com
>
> I learn, I give. – Gloria Steinem
>

> NOTE: I do not use encrypted email.  Messages sent to or from my office
> via email are not secure and may not be protected by attorney-client
> privilege. This email address is not monitored at all times.  If your
> matter is urgent, please phone my office during regular business hours.
>

> Any tax advice included in this document and its attachments was not
> intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used, for the purpose of
> avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code.
>
> P  *Please consider the trees before printing this document*

Jayne Marsh Gilbert
Gilbert and Gilbert Lawyers, PS