[WSBAPT] Clients have moved out of Washington

Heather deVrieze heatherd at westseattlelaw.com
Tue Aug 15 08:44:29 PDT 2017

What I advise clients is to review their documents to ensure that they still match their wishes, then go see an attorney in the new locale to review what they have. I explain the constitution’s full faith and credit provision requires them to be valid in the new state, BUT. . . . they may not be as efficient or effective, like taking an estate plan with a Will to California, where Living Trusts are the way to go. I do such reviews for clients recently moved to Washington, and find they appreciate the suggestions I can give about having a Health Care Directive fashioned after the Washington law, if they are going to end up in a Washington hospital, and having a power of attorney that references our statute, not one in another state. The Will itself may be fine, but other documents warrant updates.

Heather

Heather S. de Vrieze
Attorney-at-Law
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D013C2.30F35160]
3909 California Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98116-3705
(206)938-5500
heatherd at westseattlelaw.com<mailto:heatherd at westseattlelaw.com>
www.westseattlelaw.com<http://www.westseattlelaw.com/>
Click here to connect with de Vrieze | Carney on Facebook:   [FB Logo] <https://www.facebook.com/DeVriezeCarney>

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.