[WSBAPT] Abandoned out of state property in Probate?

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Thu Apr 20 16:16:08 PDT 2017

I just ran into this issue in a probate recently, and I think the Washington PR has no duty toward out-of-state real estate assets. Our probate process can't affect out-of-state real property; it requires an ancillary probate. I think a PR can elect not to open an ancillary probate if the cost of doing so outweighs the potential benefit to the heirs. In making that decision, I think I would fully inform all the potential beneficiaries of the decision and invite them to go open the ancillary probate themselves if they wish to do so. So long as there is full notice to the parties who would potentially be prejudiced by the election to do nothing about the real property, I think it would be fine for the PR to do nothing further.

If anyone has caveats or possible problems with that route, I for one would appreciate hearing about it...

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA  98144-3909
phone 206-625-0092
fax 206-625-9040

Please Note that We Have Moved. We have moved our Seattle office to Mount Baker Ridge (a small commercial community just above the I-90 tunnel). Our new address is 1417 31st Avenue South, Seattle WA 98144. All other contact information remains the same.