[WSBAPT] Beneficiary of IRA responsible for expenses/estate tax

John J. Sullivan sullaw at comcast.net
Fri Apr 14 17:03:24 PDT 2017

I agree with the court. Under RCW 6.15.020 a decedent's IRA was exempt when he was alive, so it, unlike certain other nonprobate assets, cannot be forced to contribute to the expenses of or claims against the estate.

There is one exception I am aware of: federal law overrides the exemption for past income and employment taxes owed to the IRS. But even there, the Manual indicates the IRS only goes after IRA assets in especially egregious circumstances while the participant is alive.

I'm not sure this would apply to an IRA previously inherited by the decedent, which is not exempt at least in bankruptcy.

I suppose too the federal estate tax lien would attach if applicable.

John Sullivan

Sent from my iPhone