[WSBAPT] testamentary trust -- adult child beneficiary; trustee conflict?

J Richard McEntee, Jr. jrmcentee at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 09:51:33 PDT 2017

Hello

I have a client who has an estate that is worth approximately $750,000.00. Client has 3 adult children all approximately 50 years old. One of the children is not financially responsible and if paid outright, would certainly spend his share of the inheritance quickly. The client would like to have one of the other children manage the irresponsible child’s share and make regular distributions to the irresponsible child. Perhaps as frequently as weekly. The client would like to be sure that the irresponsible child has some money to spend during the child’s lifetime but protects the assets from the child and his creditors. If someone has language to share that would be great.

Related to the choice of trustee. As the irresponsible child has no heirs, any unspent trust principal would be paid to the other two children (or their heirs) as contingent/remainder beneficiaries. This being the case, I have a concern related to a contingent beneficiary acting as trustee. If the trustee has a large amount of discretion related to distribution of trust assets, I can see issues where the trustee could be accused of managing the trust for her own benefit or the benefit of her heirs, i.e. not paying enough to the irresponsible brother. I would be interested in suggestions related to how handle this situation.

How concerned should I be that a contingent beneficiary is appointed trustee? Is the conflict too great or does the settlor’s preference override? It would seem that a professional trustee would be expensive than the situation would merit. Are the other ways to handle this? i.e. the trust language provide less discretion to the trustee?

Thanks
Rich

RICH McENTEE
McENTEE LAW OFFICE