[WSBAPT] Misgivings about JTWROS

Paul Grant paulnnepa at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 07:27:55 PDT 2017

I'm not so sure that I read RCW 64.80.100 as stating that you cannot create
a JTWROS in a beneficiary deed.

(a) states "the interest in the property is transferred to the designated
beneficiary in accordance with the deed".  I would find that this allows
JTWROS as a starting point, but subject to (b) which simply states that you
must surviving the grantor in order to be a beneficiary.  Sub (c) and (d) I
would read to be safety clauses that deal with what happens if the deed
does not address the issue, but I do not read them as limitations to what
rights a deed can give.  So I agree that a beneficiary deed does not give
JTWROS on its own but I do not interpret that a beneficiary deed CANNOT
give JTWROS.

The same, so I would suggest, could be done in a beneficiary deed as we do
in wills.  Beneficiary deed, for example, could say that X and Y are
beneficiaries.  If X predeceases grantor then A shall take X's share.
However, (d) just gives us what would happen if no such language was used
in the deed but it does not limit our ability to make a contingent
beneficiary on the deed.

I have created a beneficiary deed with JTWROS for multiple beneficiaries so
if I am off track now would be the perfect time for me to correct my
mistake!  Have others heard that a beneficiary deed cannot create a JTWROS
interest?  Is my reading of the statute out in left field (comment for the
beginning of baseball season)?

Thank you for asking this related question Bryce.

Paul H. Grant - JD, LL.M

Planning with Purpose, Inc
Lynnwood, WA 98036
425-939-9948
www.planningwithpurposeinc.com

Estate Planning. Business Planning. Wealth Succession.