[WSBAPT] Misgivings about JTWROS

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Wed Apr 5 13:01:01 PDT 2017

Huh--but JTWROS property held by husband and wife IS community property, isn't it? RCW 64.28.040<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=64.28&full=true#64.28.040>. Regardless of the right of survivorship, the property is still presumed to be CP.

I do think there are some questions about whether ROS is effective if the Grantor is not also one of the Grantees. So "X conveys to X and Y as JTWROS and not as tenants in common" might work, but "X conveys to Y and Z as JTWROS and not as tenants in common" does not, without contemporaneous evidence that Y and Z intended to receive as ROS.

But I don't understand why JTWROS would be considered incompatible with also being CP.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA  98144-3909
phone 206-625-0092
fax 206-625-9040

Please Note that We Have Moved. We have moved our Seattle office to Mount Baker Ridge (a small commercial community just above the I-90 tunnel). Our new address is 1417 31st Avenue South, Seattle WA 98144. All other contact information remains the same.