[WSBAPT] Real Estate Appraisal

Doris Eslinger doris at eslingerlawoffice.com
Sat Apr 1 06:45:02 PDT 2017

A colleague who just retired was asked the following question by a former
client.   He asks me to post the question to see if anyone cares to comment.
Thank you for your help in advance:

"As you know, the financial industry/appraisers have discussed, legislated
and digested for years the undue influence some lenders place or try to
place on appraisers to come in with values other than the results of an
appraisal. We don't get much of that mostly because we don't work for
lenders who try - more than once. We simply turn them into the Dept. of
Financial Institutions. End of story.

However, we are constantly approached in one way or another by attorneys who
want us to either change (lower) or up front try to influence our value for
estate tax purposes. We repeatedly have said that the process and procedure
for determining market value -by definition - does not change with what some
person's tax bill is going to be. Obviously, these are not poor people.
Typically, over 2 to 3 million.  What I was looking for in the Bar
Association was some ethics standard for trying to influence other
professions - like an RCW we could quote. Or, I guess we quit working for
two or three attorneys."

Regards,

Doris Eslinger
Attorney at Law
Eslinger Law Office, PLLC
2200 112th Ave NE | Suite 200 | Bellevue, WA 98005 | Phone: (425) 451-3237 |

Fax: (425) 633-2468 |  <mailto:doris at eslingerlawoffice.com>
doris at eslingerlawoffice.com |  <http://www.eslingerlawoffice.com/>
eslingerlawoffice.com

This message is intended only for the addressee.  The information contained
in this message is privileged, confidential, and protected by the
attorney-client or attorney work product privileges.  Unauthorized
forwarding, printing, copying, distribution, disclosure or use of such
information is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the addressee, please
promptly delete this message and notify the sender of the delivery error by
return e-mail or you may call our office at (425) 451-3237. Nothing in this
message should be interpreted as a digital or electronic signature that can
be used to authenticate a contract or other legal document.