[WSBAPT] Self-Serving Receipt of Heir

T Roberts pugetsoundlaw at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 08:48:19 PDT 2016

I'd second Doug's alternatives.  Dealing with contentious heirs can justify
a final hearing to close the estate and discharge the PR.  However, I would
be wary of the extent of the work expended on releases and who paid it.

I've been in courtroom when a commissioner ordered fees disgorged from the
PR and the PR's attorney for work associated with trying to get settlement
agreements and waivers from heirs and beneficiaries releasing the PR from
liability, reasoning that all work associated with any release of liability
was for the PR's personal benefit, did not provide any benefit to the
estate, and were not appropriate administrative expenses.  The Commissioner
spent quite a long time dressing down the PR and his counsel for this
misappropriation of estate resources.  The amount of fees was substantial,
I can't remember the exact figure but it was well over $20k, so the sheer
amount may have been what sent the commissioner over the edge.  Still a
good cautionary example.

Tara M. Roberts
Puget Sound Law pllc
roberts at pugetsoundlaw.com