[WSBAPT] Self-Serving Receipt of Heir

Douglas Bratt djbratt at mbavancouverlaw.com
Tue Sep 27 17:55:34 PDT 2016

I recall a case (I believe a disciplinary case), within the past 10 - 12 years, where an attorney was trying to settle a potential malpractice claim a client had against the attorney, and the attorney paid some money to the client, but, before payment, the attorney demanded that the client sign a sweeping Release. (I cannot recall for sure, but I think that, subsequently, the attorney was trying to rely on the enforceability of the release after another attorney took up the client's case against the attorney.)

I believe the attorney was disciplined for not advising the client to seek independent counsel and for not giving the client the opportunity to do so.

Maybe that was tied to the RPC cited by Karen, but I just do not have the time to double-check the RPC before I shoot off this comment.  The actual details of the case I am remembering are pretty far back in the recesses of my memory.

Does anyone else remember such a case?

Best Regards,

Doug Bratt

Douglas J. Bratt
Lawyer

[Envelope scaled Terry]

Office: (360) 213-2040
 Fax: (360) 213-2030

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email message may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you have received this message by mistake, please do not review, disclose, copy, or distribute the email. Instead, please notify us immediately by replying to this message or telephoning us.  Thank you.