[WSBAPT] Slayer Statute

Anthony D. Vivenzio vivenziolaw at rockisland.com
Mon Sep 26 13:23:02 PDT 2016

Dear Listmates,

Please clear up some confusion I have regarding the rights of slayers to a
victim's estate.  The wife died at the hands of her husband without a will.
Maybe I've had too much coffee, but I read 11.84.030 as saying that the
slayer is deemed to predecease the victim as to the real estate which would
have passed to the slayer under the descent and distribution statute,
therefore foreclosing him from acquiring the marital home.  As they were
named as "husband and wife" in the deed, I am assuming that 11.84.050 would
not apply so as to provide him with any interest in the property as they
were not joint tenants or joint owners.  Your insight would be much
appreciated.

Anthony D. Vivenzio, Attorney and Counselor at Law

P.O. Box 208

Friday Harbor, WA  98250

(360) 378-6860

CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION
E-mails from this firm normally contain confidential and privileged
material, are for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain
material protected by HIPAA, ERISA or other federal or state law and/or may
be protected by legal privileges. Use or distribution by an unintended
recipient is prohibited, and may be a violation of law. If you believe that
you received this e-mail in error, please do not read this e-mail or any
attached items. Please delete the e-mail and all attachments, including any
copies thereof, and inform the sender that you have deleted the e-mail, all
attachments and any copies thereof. Thank you.