[WSBAPT] Lapsed bequest - Per Capita Question

ebateman at crostabateman.com ebateman at crostabateman.com
Thu Sep 15 09:31:40 PDT 2016

I’m not so sure.  As I read the statute, saying per capita is “providing otherwise”… if the will had said “per stirpes” or “by right of representation” or even if it has said nothing, the grandchild would take. But here the testator provided otherwise and by using a word that is not commonly used in wills, and in the absence of a scrivener’s error, C’s child is, unfortunately, out.  The lapse is never triggered under RCW 11.12.120 (1) for it to be saved by the anti-lapse statute.  If there is a clear mistake by the drafter or by the testator that you can establish, you could use RCW 11.96A.125 to do a post mortem amendment of that language, but absent that sort circumstance, you are stuck, and A and B each take half.

In any event, you will be better off in the long run if you ask the court to confirm your interpretation, with notice to all interested parties.

Elizabeth G. Bateman

Associate Attorney

Admitted in Washington and Minnesota

999 Third Avenue, Suite 2525

Seattle, WA  98104-4089

Tel: (206) 224-0900

Fax: (206) 467-8028

www.crostabateman.com <http://www.crostabateman.com>

This email is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 USC Sections 2510-2521 and is legally privileged. This information is confidential and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you think that you have received this email message in error, please notify the sender via email or by telephone at (206) 224-0900.

IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE - Pursuant to requirements related to practice before the Internal Revenue Service, any tax advice contained in this communication (including attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for purposes of avoiding penalties imposed under the United States Internal Revenue Code or promoting, marketing or recommending to another person any tax-related matter.