[WSBAPT] Lapsed bequest - Per Capita Question

Julie Martiniello julie at dimensionlaw.com
Wed Sep 14 13:47:22 PDT 2016

This is my understanding:

If the Will says *Per Capita,* then the distribution would go to A and B
equally. As Tom said, there is no lapsed gift because he put *Per Capita*
in his Will.

C's child must get notice of the probate as he/she is an heir at law by
right of representation and notice is required to all heirs at law in
Washington.

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 11:55 AM, James B. Dolan <jbdolan at jbdolan.com>
wrote:

> Colleagues:
>

> Somewhat chagrined to ask the following . . .
>

> Decedent’s Will states in Article pertaining to family:
>

> “I am the single father of three children, A, B, and C.  The provisions of
> this Will shall apply to my child(sic) named above, and their issue and any
> children who may be hereafter born to or adopted by me.”
>

> Decedent’s Will states in Article pertaining to disposition of property:
>

> “I give all of my property and estate to be equally divided between my
> children, A, B and C, *per capita*.” (Emphasis in original.) That’s it -
> no other conditions regarding beneficiaries are stated.
>

> A and B are alive, C predeceased decedent, leaving one child.
>
> *RCW 11.12.120*
>
> *Lapsed gift—Procedure and proof.*
>
> (1) If a will makes a gift to a person on the condition that the person
> survive the testator and the person does not survive the testator, then,
> unless otherwise provided, the gift lapses and falls into the residue of
> the estate to be distributed under the residuary clause of the will, if
> any, but otherwise according to the laws of descent and distribution.
>
> (2) If the will gives the residue to two or more persons, the share of a
> person who does not survive the testator passes, unless otherwise provided,
> and subject to RCW 11.12.110
> <http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.12.110>, to the other
> person or persons receiving the residue, in proportion to the interest of
> each in the remaining part of the residue.
>

> The “per capita” language is giving me pause, and I have talked with two
> different attorneys who have offered two different opinions.
>

> Question 1: does estate get divided between A and B only (1/2 each), or
> does estate get divided between A, B, and child of C (1/3 each)?
>

> Question2: regardless of answer to Question 1, does C’s child receive
> notice of the probate?
>

> Thank you for your insights.
>

> Jim Dolan
>

> ===================
>

> *Jones Butler Dolan, PS*
>
> *www.jbdolan.com <http://www.jbdolan.com>*
>
> *www.jonesbutlerdolan.com <http://www.jonesbutlerdolan.com>*
>

> *Mount Vernon*
>

> P.O. Box 2784
>
> 415 Pine Street
>
> Mount Vernon, WA 98273
>
> Telephone: 360-336-2939
>
> Facsimile: 360-336-2949
>

> *Stanwood*
>

> P.O. Box 458
>
> 10027 - 269th Place NW (SR 532)
>
> Stanwood, WA 98292
>
> Telephone: 360-629-3833
>
> Facsimile: 360-629-6253

Respectfully,

Julie A. Martiniello | Attorney | DIMENSION LAW GROUP PLLC
234 SW 43rd St, Suite MA | Renton, WA 98057
t: *206.973.3500 ext 104*   |   f: *206.577.5090*  | e: Julie*@dimensionlaw.com
<http://dimensionlaw.com/>* | www.dimensionlaw.com

**EFFECTIVE APRIL 6, 2015, PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF OUR NEW ADDRESS AND FAX
NUMBER**

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL:  This e-mail (including any attachments) is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may
contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the
intended recipient, you are notified that any review, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received
this e-mail in error, please immediately notify us by e-mail, facsimile, or
telephone; return the e-mail to us at the e-mail address below; and destroy
all paper and electronic copies.