[WSBAPT] Durable Power of Attorney for unmarried couples

Lovie Bernardi lovie at fb-lawfirm.com
Wed Sep 7 12:44:45 PDT 2016

Dear listmates,

I am drafting DPAs for financial and health matters for a client. He is
unmarried, but lives with a life partner who he wishes to name as
attorney-in-fact. What are your thoughts about how to handle a potential
breakup of the relationship? If I put in a contingency that the
alternate would be appointed if the relationship with the life partner
was over, how would the life partner prove it wasn't over? I'm concerned
the appointment of the life partner would not be honored if the
relationship was intact but it could not be proven to the satisfaction
of a bank. How have you handled this scenario?

Lovie L. Bernardi

Flaherty & Bernardi, PLLC

216 First AVE S, #450

Seattle, WA  98104

(206) 682-2616

lovie at fb-lawfirm.com <mailto:joni at sbfirm.com>

http://fb-lawfirm.com <http://sbfirm.com/>

**********

This e-mail may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended
recipient or otherwise have received this message in error, you are not
authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or
any part of it. If you are not the intended recipient or otherwise have
received this message in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail,
discard any paper copies and delete all electronic files of the message.
Circular 230 Notice:  This communication may not be used by you or any
other person or entity for the purpose of avoiding any federal tax
penalties.