[WSBAPT] testamentary trust to hold real property

John Creahan john at cairn-law.com
Sun Oct 23 16:47:33 PDT 2016

Hi Sharon,
I don't know if you have received any responses to this. I don't think I have good language, but a few things to consider:

  *   Will the DP be responsible for paying expenses during the trust term? If so, can he/she afford to do so and what happens if DP fails to pay? If not, will the trust have sufficient assets to pay these costs.
  *   Who will be responsible for major maintenance and/or improvements? DP probably won't want to bear the cost of replacing the roof, repairing a cracked foundation, clearing out a sewer line, etc. when doing so has limited future benefit.
  *   What if the DP wants to - or has to - move? Will the trust sell the house and buy a replacement? What about casualty loss, such as fire? Who gets the money?
  *   Who is the trustee? Will the trustee have inspection rights to ensure that the house is being maintained? How will the trustee make sure that taxes, insurance, etc. are paid?
  *   Who is the charitable beneficiary? Will they be involved during the drafting stage? Will they have any right to ensure that the house is being maintained? A large charity - such as UW, Children's Hospital, Salvation Army, etc. - will have some thoughts, and might even be a good choice as trustee.
Hope this helps,
John

John Creahan
john at cairn-law.com<mailto:john at cairn-law.com>