[WSBAPT] Family Liability for Decedent's Debts

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Thu Oct 20 09:45:51 PDT 2016

Paul--The estate debts encumber the estate's assets even if transferred elsewhere, unless properly discharged by probate, but in this instance it doesn't sound like that will really matter. Nothing of value is being donated so there's nothing a creditor will care about. Throwing out or donating worthless items won't attach liability to the family members, I don't think.

See RCW 11.48.060<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.48.060>, RCW 11.48.180<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.48.180>. Technically it's interfering with the decedent's chattels, but as it's all worthless I just don't see much potential for liability.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA  98144-3909
phone 206-625-0092
fax 206-625-9040

Please Note that We Have Moved. We have moved our Seattle office to Mount Baker Ridge (a small commercial community just above the I-90 tunnel). Our new address is 1417 31st Avenue South, Seattle WA 98144. All other contact information remains the same.