[WSBAPT] Mortgage Assumption Question

Heather deVrieze heatherd at westseattlelaw.com
Thu Oct 20 09:05:13 PDT 2016

Jacob,

Transfers to spouse or to children on the death of a borrower are exempt under Garn St. Germain. I don't think it matters if the spouse receives a life estate and the children a remainder interest, both are qualifying relatives.

I think the bigger issue is the payment of the mortgage. I have worked with families in the past to agree that the life tenant receives the benefit of the interest deduction (for the interest portion of the mortgage payment) and the principal portion of each payment would be allocated to the paying owner's share of the property, either through a percentage calculation, or by simply keeping track, for repayment at sale (without interest).

I think ultimately, an agreement in these situations is better than fighting it out later, but can be hard to achieve. If they can't get along now, maybe selling and moving on separately makes more sense.

Heather

Heather S. de Vrieze
Attorney-at-Law
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D013C2.30F35160]
3909 California Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98116-3705
(206)938-5500
heatherd at westseattlelaw.com<mailto:heatherd at westseattlelaw.com>
www.westseattlelaw.com<http://www.westseattlelaw.com/>

Click here to connect with de Vrieze | Carney on Facebook:   [FB Logo] <https://www.facebook.com/DeVriezeCarney>

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.