[WSBAPT] mystery will: trust with no trustee or terms

Ralph Maimon rmaimon at maimonlaw.com
Thu Nov 17 10:29:36 PST 2016

Listmates,

I am handling a probate where the drafting attorney said that the deceased’s widow gets 100% of the residence “in trust” to live there during her lifetime and upon her death, his interest in the residence is divided 50% among various relatives and 50% the son of the deceased.

But the will does not name a trustee or the terms of the trust of which to abide during her lifetime (e.g., who pays the bills, repairs, etc.).  This has not come to a head yet, but is heading there.

I think we need to have a trustee appointed and some terms for the trust?   Attorney malpractice aside, what approach do you think would work best for this modest estate? TEDRA?  Other?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Ralph Maimon
LAW OFFICE OF RALPH MAIMON, P.S.
2811 E. Madison Street, Suite 202