[WSBAPT] objective is to avoid a probate

Jim Doran jim at doranlegal.com
Sun May 29 08:58:02 PDT 2016

I have been following this thread and it has led me to a question that I
hope someone will respond to.

A critical aspect of this is to get the stepped up basis to the significant
other.  I understand that the devisee will get the stepped up basis if the
owner dies while still owning the real estate and bequeaths it to the new
owner by some devise.  However, my question is, if the real property is put
into the RLT and then the trustor dies will the heir get the stepped up
basis even though the property was technically put into the trust?

My understanding was that the stepped up basis can occur with the use of a
Revocable Living Trust.   Is that right?

Jim Doran

James R. Doran
Attorney at Law
100 E. Pine Street -  Suite 205