[WSBAPT] Harmful nonprofit governance opinion

Tom White thomas.henry.white at gmail.com
Tue May 24 17:03:24 PDT 2016

Practically, you should be able to cite to unpublished opinions because (1)
there is a relative dearth of case law in Washington compared to other
jurisdictions whose well-established legal systems make them ideal for the
transaction of business and choice-of-law selections; (2) it promotes the
interests of justice and uniformity in decision-making through the
development of case law along common law principles; (3) it reduces
unnecessary duplication of judicial effort, because somebody has already
figured out how the law should apply to similar facts; and (4) it will not
have a negative impact on the administration of justice.

Nobody is ever going to cite to an unpublished opinion if there is a
published one available, and the unpublished opinions will not have nearly
the same weight as a published opinion from Washington state.

Tom White
Attorney-At-Law
Seattle, Washington