[WSBAPT] Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMD), Coordination of Benefits & Recovery (COB&R)

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Thu May 19 10:27:42 PDT 2016

Alexis--I haven't dealt with this in a while but had to do quite a bit of research a few years ago, and I think I recall that the state's statutory bar on recovery is not effective against Medicare Secondary Payer. The feds make their own rules. If I am remembering this right, it's different with Medicaid, because that's federal funds paid to the State and then doled out under a State program, administered by DSHS, a state agency subject to the state's statutes.

And, the recovery can be not just against the Estate, but anyone who received a portion of the proceeds. Some undigested chunks of info that I have from back then:

The authority of Medicare/Medicaid to come after everybody who has ever been associated with the settlement payout is statutory.  The provision allows the feds to look to the insurance company for proceeds even after the underlying tort case has been settled, policy has been exhausted or the like.  The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (“CMS”) may bring suit in the federal government’s name against any or all of; 1) any or all plaintiffs, 2) any or all defendants, 3) any or all insurance carriers potentially subject to making any payment of any money to any claimant, 4) any person or entity which received any portion of settlement proceeds. See 42 U.S.C. § 1395y(b)(2)(A)(ii); 42 C.F.R. § 411.24(e).  When read together, the statute and the CFR have been interpreted to include, inter alia, physicians and attorneys as persons receiving proceeds of payments and from whom a recovery may be sought. See 42 C.F.R. § 411.25(g).

The only limitation to the assertion of a lien against an insurance company is that the lien is limited to the primary liability policies in effect.  Thus, any additional coverage held by the claimant, such as UM/UIM, umbrella or life insurance, is not subject to the lien. See Waters, et al. v Farmers Texas County Mutual Insurance Company, A.H.-92-942 (S.D. Tex. August 6, 1992).

Sorry I don't have a useful cite for the exact issue -- whether or not Medicare recovery is subject to RCW 11.40.051.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC