[WSBAPT] Real Excise tax question

Mike Winslow mike at winslegal.com
Wed May 18 17:15:38 PDT 2016

I think this is the correct WAC citation, but you will need to report the
consideration as "gift".

The husband will remain legally liable on the debt, so there is no monetary
consideration and no relief from debt. I would attach a narrative that
explains the circumstances of loan, decree and transfer (eg. That H and W
are borrowers under loan, that W was awarded property pursuant to decree of
dissolution subject to a lien for equity in H, that H has elected to forgo
the benefit of the decree of dissolution and release his interest in
property to W and recites that the H remains liable on the loan).

If this were a Skagit County transaction, I would not recite that the W has
been making 100% of the payments. Our Treasurer's clerk that reviews the
REETAS can be a stickler, so would not volunteer that the W is making all
the payments. The treasure might decide that the H is being "relieved of the
debt" , thus tax due (which is not technically the case).
Have W sign under penalty of perjury.

The alternative is to amend the decree, which seems unnecessary.

Michael A. Winslow
1204 Cleveland Ave.
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
Ph. 360-336-3321
Em. Mike at winslegal.com

This message is from an attorney, so it's confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, it's too late to stop reading this message, but you may
not use it for any improper purpose. Huge Disclaimer available upon request.