[WSBAPT] 1964 Will Witnessing requirements?

Lewis, Amy C. ALewis at Eisenhowerlaw.com
Mon May 16 14:09:58 PDT 2016

I believe the self-proving affidavit wasn't part of the statute until the late 1960s.

Amy C. Lewis, Attorney

[cid:logo0c6d3a]

ESTATE PLANNING & PROBATE

1200 Wells Fargo Plaza | 1201 Pacific Avenue | Tacoma, WA 98402
phone 253.572.4500 | fax 253.272.5732 | www.eisenhowerlaw.com<http://www.eisenhowerlaw.com/>

From: wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com [mailto:wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com] On Behalf Of Jane Bitz
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2016 1:39 PM
To: WSBA Probate & Trust Listserv
Subject: Re: [WSBAPT] 1964 Will Witnessing requirements?

I wasn't practicing then either, but I have run across wills such as this where there are two witness (valid will) but no affidavit to make it self-proving. It was the practice at that time to not do an affidavit, thus possibly retaining the probate business. One such "reputable" law firm was very put out that the client did not want them to handle the probate matter. Eventually the witnesses (attorney at the firm and an assistant who were still there and who had acted as the witnesses) provided me with an affidavit attesting after the fact that they were present when the testator signed the will, was of sound mind etc.

Jane.

Jane G Bitz
Of Counsel
Wolff, Hislop & Crockett, PLLC
12209 E Mission, Suite 5
Spokane Valley WA 99206-4824
(509) 927-9700; FAX (509) 777-1800
jbitz at whc-attorneys.com<mailto:jane at jbitzlaw.com>

THE CONTENTS OF THIS ELECTRONIC MAIL ARE CONFIDENTIAL AND PROTECTED BY THE ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGE OR OTHER APPLICABLE PROTECTION.  Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this electronic mail in error, PLEASE NOTIFY ME BY E-MAIL, FAX OR TELEPHONE and PROMPTLY DELETE this electronic mail.  This mail cannot be modified without express written consent of Wolff, Hislop & Crockett, PLLC.  Thank You.