[WSBAPT] Real Estate Purchase Option - Best Practice

MK Henderson law.mkh at gmail.com
Tue May 3 11:22:31 PDT 2016

You could draft the deed as a Transfer on Death deed and create estate
documents that reflect that persons share as being transferred already.
But keep in mind it might not be the parent that dies first. Also, an
agreement to purchase on death will not prevent probate as a PR or
Administrator would need to be appointed to transfer the property and a
REET would need to be filed and paid as it is a taxable purchase if money
is being exchanged.  I agree with Ralph placing the property into a trust
might be the best option for this property but it appears as though there
needs to be discussion about options other than just the parent passing
first.