[WSBAPT] GAL for minor kids

Adria Vondra avondra75 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 10:36:32 PDT 2016

Hi,

I am fairly new to probate, so hopefully this isn't a question with an
obvious answer.  The deceased had three minor children that all live in
Nevada with each of their respective mothers (he never married any of the
three mothers). We need to open a probate here because he was in the middle
of a Chapter 7 bankruptcy and we need a PR in order to continue the case.
He also owned a home in Nevada.

Does a GAL need to be appointed in the WA probate or would it be appointed
in the NV probate?  He did have life insurance and 401k and we are unsure
if he actually made beneficiary designations as he had only been employed
for a few months, etc.

Further, his mother that will be petitioning for PR is very concerned about
the mothers of the kids not handling the funds correctly.  Any advice would
be helpful.

--
Adria Vondra
Attorney at Law