[WSBAPT] Business Question

Pearce Law PLLC heather at pearcelawservices.com
Fri Mar 11 16:12:24 PST 2016

Paul,
I don't know that there is an easy way around this issue in Washington
state. Unless a separate LLC or company is also designated as a member and
manager (one way to make it at least a little bit harder to trace to an
individual), the individual owner's name AND HOME ADDRESS is still required
on the business license which is also searchable in public records and on
the internet.

I know that personally, this makes me really uncomfortable. And it is the
same for some of my clients. Any Joe Shmoe with a few clicks of a mouse
could track down a home address to any business owner here in WA presuming
that paperwork is properly done.

It would be good to hear any opinions of practitioners more experienced
than I on whether this is likely to change at any point. I am not opposed
to the state having records of my whereabouts. I am opposed to random
people being able to access home addresses. Which makes me very much
appreciate the policies of states like Wyoming and Nevada that have taken
steps to be more "business" friendly, including business owner friendly.

Any additional thoughts from our fellow listserv members?

Heather

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 3:08 PM, Paul Grant <paulnnepa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe minorly off topic for our listserv, but any wisdom is appreciated!
>
> When opening an LLC, if a client desires for a professional service to
> operate as the registered agent, what do you do when it seeks for the
> manager's name?  Typically the manager is the client, so instead of
> anonymity (when desired) we just published the client's name as the manager.
>
> To avoid this situation, what have others been doing when a client does
> not want their identity known with a business?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Paul H. Grant - JD, LL.M
>
> Planning with Purpose, Inc
> Lynnwood, WA 98036
> 425-939-9948
> www.planningwithpurposeinc.com
>
> Estate Planning. Business Planning. Wealth Succession.

*Heather Pearce Campbell*
*Pearce Law, PLLC *| c: 206.799.2539
Web: http://www.pearcelawservices.com

Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message and
may be subject to legal privilege. Access to this e-mail by anyone other
than the intended recipient is unauthorized. If you are not the intended
recipient (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you
may not use, copy, distribute or deliver to anyone this message (or any
part of its contents ) or take any action in reliance on it. In such case,
you should destroy this message, and notify us immediately. If you have
received this email in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail or
telephone and delete the e-mail from any computer.