[WSBAPT] Original Wills

Felicia Value, Attorney at Law felicia at skagitprobate.com
Mon Mar 7 09:54:23 PST 2016

Thank goodness I learned early on to give all original documents to clients.  An article appeared in the bar journal (this was back in Oregon) with that advice,  and I gathered up my five or so years worth of original Wills and sent them to their owners with the requisite US mail precautions.  Even with the modest number of Wills I had then,  it was onerous.  But as an illustration of the wisdom of that practice,  I moved to Washington a few years later,  went on inactive status with the Oregon bar,  and vanished from the lives and minds of my Oregon clients.  Thankfully I hadn’t obligated myself to pointlessly and confusingly store their original Wills.

I always give clients a closing letter with suggestions on where to store documents,  and cautions about amending them.  When a client asks about a firebox at home,  I recommend one that locks with a key,  and I tell them to leave the key in the lock.  That way a burglar can dump the box out on the floor and see it contains nothing valuable.

Yes,  clients may lose or improperly alter documents.  I had to decide how much of my own time and liability I was willing to devote to preventing that.

I do keep a copy of all executed documents,  and I’ve had to probate my copy of the lost Will once or twice.

Regards,

Felicia Value
Attorney at Law
PO Box 578/116 North Third Street
La Conner, WA 98257
(360) 466-2088
www.skagitprobate.com

NOTE: I do not use encrypted email. Messages sent to or
from my office via email are not secure and may not be
protected by attorney client privilege. This email address
is not monitored at all times. If your matter is urgent,
please phone my office during regular business hours.

This email may contain confidential material protected by
attorney/client privilege, and is intended for use solely by the above
referenced recipient. Any review, copying, printing, disclosure,
distribution, or other use by any person or entity is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the named recipient, or
believe you have received this email in error, please reply to the
sender and delete the copy you received. Thank you.