[WSBAPT] Professional Guardian and POA

Paul Neumiller pneumiller at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 1 12:44:53 PST 2016

Good advice. Thanks Margaret.

From: wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com
[mailto:wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com] On Behalf Of Margaret Delp
Sent: Monday, February 29, 2016 2:12 PM
To: 'WSBA Probate & Trust Listserv' <wsbapt at lists.wsbarppt.com>
Subject: Re: [WSBAPT] Professional Guardian and POA

Hi Paul: I think the best would be to tell the PG that the gentleman who
needs the POA would be your client, and ask for the PG to have the gentleman
contact you directly to set up an appointment.  Then meet with him privately
(without PG), just as you would any other client.  You can make a
determination at that time as to his capacity to sign a DPOA.  You could
even obtain additional documentation from his physician.  If you really
question his capacity, I think it would be very concerning to appoint a CP
under the DPOA.  It might feel less risky if it was a beloved and trusted
family member.  If he has the capacity, you could advise him about fiduciary
agencies that have internal checks and balances, or discuss appointing a
trusted family member instead of or in addition to CP.

Those are my thoughts,

Margaret

--

Law Office of Margaret Delp

2815 Howard Road, Second Floor

P.O. Box 292

Langley, WA 98260

(360) 579-4530 (telephone)

(360) 512-3114 (facsimile)

This email is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18
U.S.C. Sections 2510-2521, and is legally privileged. This email was sent by
an attorney or her agent, is intended only for the addressee's use, and may
contain confidential and privileged information.  If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention,
dissemination, reproduction or other use of the information contained in
this e-mail is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in
error, please delete it and immediately notify the sender by reply email.
Thank you for your cooperation.