[WSBAPT] Off-topic Assistance: Guardianship of Incapacitated Adult w/Developmental Disability

Marcus Fry mfry at lyon-law.com
Mon Jun 6 17:03:26 PDT 2016

It appears that your clients’ letters are up for reissuance?  If so, assuming the IP doesn’t have any money, I would set a hearing to renew the letters of guardianship disclosing lack of money for IP and issues with formal proceedings.  If the judge wants to reevaluate capacity, I would tell the Court that a GAL needs to be appointed at county expense (happens in the majority of counties) to investigate the continued appropriateness of the guardianship and provide recommendations whether the IP should attend the hearing or not on the reissuance of letters.  This way you avoid the expense of the GAL and also potentially avoid the issue of the IP appearing at court if it will impact his mental health.

Marcus J. Fry
Lyon, Weigand & Gustafson, P.S.