[WSBAPT] Client on mortgage, but not title

Paul Grant paulnnepa at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 14:52:17 PDT 2016

Well, believe it or not, I was just poking around the St. Germain Act this
morning.... why?  Because attorneys are just that weird.

Look at US Code 1703j-3(d)(8) - a transfer into an inter vivos trust in
which the borrower is and remains a beneficiary and which does not relate
to a transfer of rights of occupancy in the property

If your client is "the borrower" but is not a beneficiary the transfer may
have offended the statute and the loan could trigger the due-on-sale
clause.  If you could convince the mortgagee to close the loan that may
also force a remortgage.

Obviously a long shot but look at the section to see if anything else fits
your situation.  Even the threat of asking the mortgagee to force a payment
in full may get the Trustee to respond, specifically if it comes from your
office.

Paul H. Grant - JD, LL.M

Planning with Purpose, Inc
Lynnwood, WA 98036
425-939-9948
www.planningwithpurposeinc.com

Estate Planning. Business Planning. Wealth Succession.