[WSBAPT] Reject Valid Claims?

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Wed Jun 1 16:55:39 PDT 2016

I think you need at least a CR 11 - defensible basis in fact and law to reject a creditor claim. The PR has a fiduciary duty to treat creditors fairly, and a rejection of the claim without a good faith basis for the rejection I think would violate that duty.

I think the reason that CR 11 is essentially imported into the fiduciary duty is, it governs what you would have to put in the Answer to any Complaint filed by a creditor who has been rejected. If there is not at least a good faith defense that passes muster under CR 11, then the PR's bad faith will practically be demonstrably proved in court.

My opinion anyway – based on considering this issue from time to time when a client is sorely tempted to reject a creditor claim on a very thin basis as to the merits. (As to procedural problems, the case law is comfortably clear that the claim must strictly abide by the statute as to filing and service, so I happily reject claims that do not manage to jump through all the procedural hoops. That always meets CR 11 in my mind.)

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC