[WSBAPT] Executor's Pre-death Expenses

Mark Higgins markthiggins at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 16:05:12 PDT 2016

Teresa--it seems to me this is not an estate expense but instead a debt of
the decedent.  His arrangement with his daughter was that when she came out
to assist he paid the travel costs.  This happened while he was alive and
thus, when he died, he owed the last travel.  Technically she has a claim
against the estate.  She should bill the estate in a manner which satisfies
the creditor claim requirements and then pay herself with an estate check,
the same as she pays the decedent's other bills and debts.
Nonintervention, so no big deal.

Mark

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 2:43 PM, Theresa Tilton <jdmama82 at msn.com> wrote:

> Advice, please, concerning reimbursement of travel expenses:
>

> Decedent is the executor's father. At her father's request, the executor
> travelled to Washington from the east coast to attend to her father during
> his last illness.  Is it a legitimate expense of the estate to reimburse
> her for her travel expenses? If so, should it be considered as a medical
> expense? How else?
>

> The father had been in declining health for several years. In previous
> years, when she had travelled to help her father during times of
> his medical need, her father had reimbursed her travel expenses.  Her two
> brothers live in California and they were not able to come to Washington at
> those times, so the brothers had no comparable expenses.
>

> Executor was medical POA and the estate is non-intervention.
>

> Thank you for considering my question.
>

> Theresa Tilton, Port Orchard

Mark T. Higgins
Mark T. Higgins, P.C.