[WSBAPT] Small Estate Affidavit Question

Jill H. Sasser jill.sasser at landerholm.com
Tue Jul 19 15:43:04 PDT 2016

I don’t think so (unless the missing person had a POA or guardian).  I think I would file a probate proceeding, and then either pay the missing person’s share into the court registry (I imagine the value is pretty small), or send it to unclaimed property.  There are also statutes that authorize the appointment of a GAL, and that deal with missing persons, but I imagine the proceeds are pretty small in this case, so I would look at some cost-effective options that also protect the missing person’s rights.  If you want to call me with more information, I’d be happy to go through the statutes with you to see if we could come up with a better solution.

Good luck!
Jill

Jill H. Sasser | Attorney at Law
<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/lNV1B6tpl8sm>[cid:imagef4f566.GIF at c2704f08.43992700]<http://www.landerholm.com>