[WSBAPT] Joint Trust with division at first death that was never funded

Douglas Bratt djbratt at mbavancouverlaw.com
Wed Jul 13 13:37:02 PDT 2016

As part of what John suggests, remember that the (second-to-die) Decedent probably filed individual income tax returns using his/her SSN as the Tax Identification Number.  A Federal income tax return will have to be filed for that individual up to and including his/her date of death, at which point the trust, itself, will have to have an EIN assigned by the IRS, to handle any income tax issues involved in the winding up process.  There is the potential that the sole heir/beneficiary will enjoy the benefits of any loss sustained by the trust on that income tax return (via funeral expenses, possibly, attorney’s fees and costs involved in the winding up process, accounting fees, possibly appraisal fees, etc) as reflected on a K-1 form that will be going to the sole heir/beneficiary.

If there was a pour-over will (for any property that was not in the original trust), a probate might be necessary if real estate is owned outside of the trust, or if the property not in the trust is worth in excess of $100,000.00.  In that case, any probate estate that is established will also be subject to getting its own EIN, and filing a Federal Estate Income Tax Return, again with a K-1 issued.

It is always good to have a knowledgeable CPA on board to advise about the income tax aspects of cases such as this one.

Best Regards,

Doug Bratt

Douglas J. Bratt
Lawyer

[Envelope scaled Terry]

Office: (360) 213-2040
 Fax: (360) 213-2030

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email message may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you have received this message by mistake, please do not review, disclose, copy, or distribute the email. Instead, please notify us immediately by replying to this message or telephoning us.  Thank you.

NOTE:  I do not use encrypted email.  Messages sent to or from my office via email are not secure and may not be protected by attorney-client privilege.  This email address is not monitored at all times.  If your matter is urgent, please phone my office during regular business hours.

TAX ADVICE NOTICE: IRS Circular 230 requires us to advise you that, if this communication or any attachment contains any tax advice, the advice is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of avoiding federal tax penalties. A taxpayer may rely on professional advice to avoid federal tax penalties only if the advice is reflected in a comprehensive tax opinion that conforms to stringent requirements. Please contact us if you have any questions about Circular 230 or would like to discuss our preparation of an opinion that conforms to these IRS rules.