[WSBAPT] ethics/risk of delay of probate

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Fri Jan 29 13:43:11 PST 2016

Abandonment of real property not allowed. Claim of title won't work because there's no color of title as to the whole; just his half-interest. His remedy as TIC is the equitable right of reimbursement against his fellow cotenants.

It is possible to take a tenant-in-common's interest as a multistep process: tenant-in-common incurs costs and gains the equitable right of reimbursement. Sue the other cotenants for reimbursement, and obtain a judgment against them. Try to collect on the judgment as usual, and hopefully get to the point of foreclosing on their tenant-in-common interest in the real property. Buy the interest at the execution auction.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC